Saturday, February 28, 2015

Wallet Card: Griffey Goes to Mardi Gras Part 7 - The Big Fat Tuesday Finale


Welcome to the last day of Wallet Card Goes to Mardi Gras! These photos were taken just before and on Mardi Gras Day, February 17th 2015. My wife and I along with another couple were lucky enough to ride in the Elks Jeffersonians truck parade in Metairie on Mardi Gras morning. I'll admit that I got a little fuzzy towards the end of this, but I remember most of it. Enjoy!


Here is our float the day before Mardi Gras. We came early to load it with all our beads and trinkets as well as collect our costumes.


As you can see there was a lot to throw.



Griffey over the mighty Mississippi.


The night before we packed our ice chest and got to bed super early. I set my alarm for 3:30AM.


I was wide awake before it even went off.


Everyone has their Mardi Gras traditions, and one of ours is that we wake up with an Irish Car Bomb (A shot of Jameson whiskey and Bailey's dropped into a half-pint of Guinness).


One didn't feel like enough, and we weren't driving...


Over at the float, they hooked the truck up and off we went.



All ready.


Lots of trinkets for the kids.



A few of our fancier beads and some rubber chickens.


In case you were wondering.


These bad boys had to be earned.


The floats lining up on Veterans Memorial Blvd. We are truck #1.


That's 180 floats in two lines.


Mardi Gras high chair (bolted to the floor, of course).


I'm not a big selfie guy, but I was pretty hammered at this point.


It begins...











Thank you, ociffer. I mean, officer.














Ah! We were just on the news! I hope I wasn't making a stupid face.









At this point we still had so much stuff left to throw that we just started pouring it overboard. Everybody loved it; but it was a two-hand job, so I didn't get any pictures.


This is very near the end of the route,


Ugh. So many of these things...


Riding back on the I-10.


Heading home over the Luling Bridge.

We got home around 5pm at which point everybody lay down for a nap. I slept for 13 hours then went to work the next morning. Ash Wednesday is business as usual. I did, however, wake up from that nap for just a few minutes at which point I checked to make sure I still had the Griffey.


Ah - safe and sound.

That's it for Mardi Gras 2015. The partying continued in the city until midnight when cops on horseback swept the Quarter, proclaiming that Mardi Gras is officially over and Lent has begun. Remnants of Carnival are everywhere. There are still plenty of beads in plenty of trees, lots of folks are still catching up on missed sleep, and I am still finding glowstick necklaces in my car and house. It never really stops.

And of course the St. Patrick's Day Parade is right around the corner...

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. great pics! Griffey looked like he had fun! Also, I can't find your email but my want lists are up to date if you want to trade, always interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read all of your posts this week, and come to the conclusion that I don't understand Mardi Gras AT ALL. :-)

    ReplyDelete