Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Pair of Holy Grails

You haven't heard from me much lately - I've been Spring cleaning, selling off my surplus of collectables on eBay like hotcakes to finance a new laptop.  Don't worry - no Griffeys were lost.  In fact I've picked up a bunch.  In lieu of the many, many necessary trade posts I owe to several generous bloggers out there, here's a pair of recently acquired Holy Grail cards I've been chasing for years:


I'm not just a Griffey collector - I also collect a few non-baseball guys like Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, and O.J. Simpson.  The most difficult collection to build, however, has been my Bill Murray collection.  Mr. Murray is a fan of the game and has owned several teams.  For that reason he's made it onto a precious few baseball cards.  This Salt Lake Trappers card is the crown jewel.

I decided a while back to keep quiet about my Bill Murray collection until I could land this card, and it on finally popped up on the 'Bay for more than a reasonable person would otherwise pay.  Just look at that picture.  It's Murray's '89 Upper Deck #1, his '52 Topps, his on-card-autographed 1/1 quad-patch with genuine hair relic.  Chivers, eat your hearts out.

Now what kind of Holy Grail post would this be without a Griffey?


I made a nice chunk of change on eBay in the last few days, so I thought I'd grab a little something just for me.  I may never have the dual-signature version, but at least I can say I was able to land this beauty.  It's even prettier in person what with the excellent blue-to-green background and perfectly rendered dipositions of both Junior and the Mick.  An amazing card to say the least.


I have a million other posts to write in the coming weeks, but I thought I'd share these two proud acquisitions to hold over any Junior Junkie...well...junkies of which I'm certain there are thousands.

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. That Bill Murray card is worth it at any price. Nice buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pickups! I've always wanted to find a copy of that Murray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those are incredible pickups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Mantle/Griffey. Sweet card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also meant to say glad to have found another Griffey collector. Though it looks like my collection is no way near yours lol

    ReplyDelete