Friday, June 19, 2020

The Great Griffey Frankenset: Page 24

Welcome to Page 24 of the Great Griffey Frankenset!

If you're not familiar with the idea of a frankenset, it is a customized set of cards properly sequenced by card number that all tie into a connecting theme. Some frankenset themes include whole teams, mini-collections, and even just generally great cards or photos. This is the first frankenset I'm aware of that is made up of just one player: Ken Griffey, Jr., the man of a million cards. I took the liberty of including things like inserts, parallels, cameos, and oddballs for the sake of variety and because it's just more fun that way. Enjoy!

Here is page 24 of the Great Griffey Frankenset:


Completeness of page: 5/9

Completeness of the Frankenset so far: 97.22% (210/216)

Team distribution so far: Mariners: 149/210 (71%), Reds: 57/210 (27%), White Sox: 2/210 (1%), No team indicated: 2/210 (1%)

Page 24 Notes: Alright! 24! Griffey's Mariners uniform number! This should be a good page.... WRONG. This is the worst page ever in the history of Griffey frankensets. And worst of all, there will be worse ones. Gird your loins - this is the new normal.

Page 24:

208. ---

209. ---


210. 2003 Topps Total #210 (CIN14) Silver

Believe it or not I still don't have the regular base card of this one - just the parallel. Then again, even if I did I would still show this silver jobber instead.


211. 1995 Leaf #211

Oh, only one of my favorite cards sets of all time. Seriously - everything about '95 Leaf did it for me back in the day. Gold and holofoil on EVERY base card, serial-numbered inserts, die-cutting, textures - the works. Most of these gimmicks were still new to me when I bought my first pack at Lakeside Mall and pulled a Ripken Heading for the Hall, my first serial-numbered card ever. One of my few set builds, and a good candidate for building a master set if I ever decide to do such a thing. I should really update that blog post.


212. 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter #212

I'm not a Ginter guy, but I'll admit the cards are really freakin' nice. I get it. I'm not codebreaking or trying for find all the minis with all the different breeds of cows or marsupials or whatever; but yes, they do make great base cards.

213. ---

214. ---


215. 1999 Ultra #215G Checklist Gold Medallion

I've said it before - I want to know what is going on in this photo. He's like, "Hold up I'm not ready," but he's so ready. Look at that mug.


216. 1994 Upper Deck Fun Pack #216 What's the Call? (w/ Jay Buhner)

We all seem to say we'd like to see a set like this come back again, but do you think it would sell? Do young'uns collect cards now? The hobby is making a comeback. Maybe in five years or so. Hey, why does Buhner have the backwards cap here? Junior is all business today. #stumpytheump2020

Here's the back of Page 24:


Man that sucked. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. 1995 Leaf. What an awesome, overlooked set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was bound to get tougher, but even an incomplete page of Griffeys is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hobby is definitely running strong right now... but I don't think it involves a lot of kids. I mean... I hope it does. But if I had to guess... I'd say they're more into buying new Fortnite outfits or Apple Airpods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oof, things are looking a little sparse this high in the count. Still, 1995 Leaf makes it all better!

    ReplyDelete