Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Late Night Trade Post




I'm scheduling this post to go live nice and late for obvious reasons.

I got a stack of cards from Greg aka the Night Owl, patriarch of the card blogging community.  Odds are you read his blog, so you know he is working on the complete set of '75 minis.  It just so happens a guy at the local monthly card show has a whole box of them that I've been buying 17 at a time and sending up to Mr. Owl.  Unfortunately that dealer has not been at the last two shows, so I'm just going to have to send unique Dodgers until he makes it back.  In the meantime here's Greg's latest volley in our trading back-and-forth.

First is that excellent Staub up there at the top.  I've never seen it before pulling it from Greg's envelope.  It's fairly big, too, roughly the diameter of a grand orange (Get it?  Well, the Staub fans will).  It may be the star of the bunch.




Here are a few nice ones of "the Thrill."  That '71 mini insert and '13 Topps Spring Fever are the standouts here.  I don't care what anyone says, I like the vintage mini inserts.




Chuck had only recently shaved his Chuckstache on that '90 Fleer card, so it always makes me wistful. That's the second '75 mini Greg has sent my way, and it is of yet another Louisiana native, Mr.Vida Blue.  While gently loved it still eye-meltingly colorful.

Oh, and lookie what I get to do now:

MIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSS!!!!!!!! <cough, cough>  Nope, I'd better leave that to the professionals.




Of course he didn't forget the Griffeys.  That Chasing History insert is the super-shiny refracting version, and I am in the midst of completing a Design Timeline for Finest.  I now have only one of the base cards to go.




I'm also putting together a compilation of Griffeys on all the old Topps designs.  They're posts I've had to put extra research into as there are so many out there I've never even seen and don't want to leave out.  Here are two nice ones (Heritage versions tend to be excellent and pretty faithful to the original designs).  These are the most appropriate cards the vintage-loving Night Owl could have sent me.

Thanks a lot, Greg!  I've already got a stack of Dodgers and some other vintage for you.  And I'll keep bringing your want list to the card shows until my '75 mini guy comes back.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this at 10:30 in the morning ... I'm so embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving that Vida '75 mini.

    ReplyDelete