Monday, March 30, 2015

Bill Murray on Baseball Cards



One of my PC's is Bill Murray. You might not think there are enough Murray cards in the World to merit something you can call a "collection," and if that's the case this post may surprise you. Bill has had a stake in several minor league ball teams, and I've acquired the card sets of every one of those teams I could find.

Here, chronologically, is my entire collection of Bill Murray cardboard.

1988 Salt Lake Trappers Team Set #29

The first BM card depicts a smiling Murray still in the beginning of his film career. Scrooged and Ghostbusters II were on the imminent horizon, and Groundhog Day was still five years away. His position of "Team Owner" would not last.

This card, his earliest I have found, seems to be the Holy Grail of Murray cards. The last team set from this year that sold on eBay went for $90.00 plus shipping. It's a tough one to track down and by far his best-looking card.

1988 Salt Lake Trappers Team Set #2

Here is Bill with his brother, Brian, who was in a ton of movies including National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (as Clark's boss) and Wayne's World (the arcade owner who "blows goats"). It seems they were actually co-owners, but Bill ended up with his own card in addition to this one.

2003 Brockton Rox Team Set

Skip forward 15 years to this card from the 2003 Brockton Rox team set. Murray, promoted from simple owner to "Director of Fun," is superimposed over the team's Brockton, Massachusetts ballpark. Murray's legendary status in Hollywood had already been assured at this point. He had shown his acting chops in more high-brow comedic roles such as Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums, and Lost in Translation was about to reveal to the world his dramatic side (as well as Scarlett Johansson's booty).


Check out the units of measure for his height and weight.

This, too:


I think that's a thumbs-up.

2004 Brockton Rox Team Set

The following year's Rox set features a more muted design and a more pensive-looking Bill. I can;t say I like the cropping here, but I can't complain. There aren't enough Murray cards out there to be choosy.


Here's this guy again:



The last card I have for Murray is this card from the 2008 St. Paul Saints team set. Apparently Murray threw balls at someone named "The Sieve" who is really good at catching them? I'm not certain, but I love Bill's mug on this card. Makes me want to buy a ball team.


That's the final Bill Murray card, but this set was full of fun treats.


As you can see, this is a set that any Darryl Strawberry collectors out there just have to get a hold of. Here's the back of that Straw just for fun:


That's it for now. I don't know of any other Bill Murray cards out there. As far as I'm concerned I have every one. If you spot any that differ from these, let me know!

P.S. In case you missed it, here is Part 2 of my Bill Murray PC, and here is Part 3. Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. He's the best! My signed Bill Murray Charleston cards is one of my favorites. Check it out:

    http://thelostcollector.blogspot.com/search/label/Bill%20Murray

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to get copies of those 1988 Trappers cards, but lately the bidding has gone way above my limit. I didn't even know the other Bill Murray cards here existed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I need to get some of these for my collection. My friends and I often talk about what celebrity would leave you awe struck....he is always my choice. I would turn into a total fanboy if I was around him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Gohstbusters before baseball whenever I see Mr. Murray, but we all know he's way better at baseball than he Is at acting.BTW-I got the cards today and really dig the contents!Expect a post on them.Thanks a mil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I would be happy just to have one of him. I would want a Chevy as well and might as well add Mr. Akroyd. Those guys are the best in my mind.

    ReplyDelete