Monday, September 1, 2014

Cavalcade of Keepers 2


Here is Part 2 in an ongoing series featuring neat cards from the Keeper Box.

1992 Pinnacle Kirby Puckett Sidelines #289

A great subset of cards from a great base set featuring a big star shooting pool?  You bet this one's a keeper.  As a bit of a pool player myself, I knew I had to have this card since the first time I saw it on the blogsphere.  Kirby and I have a very similar hold and stance.  Props to him for using a house stick, but I wouldn't cut that 15 so close the 8.

1994 Upper Deck Mickey Mantle Baseball Heroes #66

This scan brings out a few imperfections in the printing of what is otherwise a near-perfect baseball card.  Great photo, great logo, nice use of foil and shading.  I can't get enough of seeing the Mick in that slightly lop-sided crown.

2007 Topps Barry Bonds Home Run King #HRK

I don't like Barry Bonds, but the guy had a few sweet cards in his long career.  Everything about this particular one is amazing.  The colossal jackass even managed to take a decent picture.  A bittersweet card that deserves a penny sleeve all day long.

1993 Upper Deck Dennis Eckersley Award Winners #489

Eck is a photogenic guy.  Not in that "What a great smile," or "He looks so heroic" kind of way.  It's really more like a "How did the other baseball players not shit their pants in the batter's box while getting squinted at like they just impregnated this guy's daughter?" kind of way.  The gaze, the 'stache, and even the hair work together to form a perfect storm of fear-inducing yet lovable intimidation.  I want to go bowling with this guy so hard.

1995 Leaf 300 Club Frank Thomas #1

I'm happy to report that I pulled this bad boy from a pack back in 1995.  It took me 18 more years to finally land the Griffey, but this card will always hold a place in my heart.  Great concept, great design, great execution in general.  Leaf really had their isht together in '95.  A real beauty.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment