Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Astro-nomical Oddballs: a Trade Post

I got a surprise PWE in the mail from Bru of Remember the Astrodome.  Inside were two oddballs, one of which I had not only never seen before but that blew my freaking mind:


In 1994, Junior broke the Mick's record for most homers through May with 22.  That prompted somebody at a company called Sports Stars USA (who broke the record for most generic baseball card company the same year) to make this card.  And thank goodness for that.  As oddballs go, this one is a....home run?  Derp!

Here's the back:


Seriously, what a crazy-ass card.  I love it like a child.

Holding up the rear is this sweet Card Guard promo:


This card came with a box of Ken Griffey, Jr. brand top-loaders which were sold in a box like this one:


And I can't get enough of them.

Thanks for the oddballs, Bru!  I'll keep stockpiling 'stros for ya.

3 comments:

  1. You're welcome! I'm 99% certain that the Mantle card came from a quarter machine at one of the local pizza shops we went to after baseball games. I remember a few of them (and tons of 86 Traded), but only found this one.

    ReplyDelete