Friday, May 9, 2014

New PC Announcement: Javy Lopez

It was recently pointed out to me by another blogger that I am difficult to shop for because there's not all that much I collect.  There are only a handful of players I collect (in addition to the obvious) and no entire teams or sets.  So over the next few posts I will be adding some new player collections to my repertoire.  If you spot someone in these posts you have a bunch of cards for, feel free to send them my way!

Current PC's:

Ken Griffey, Jr.
Will Clark
Chuck Finley
Rusty Staub
Ron Kittle
Vida Blue
Marquis Grissom
Jay Buhner

New inductee: Javy Lopez


Javier "Javy" Lopez was one of the greatest catchers of the 90's.  In his 15 years he hit 260 dingers (243 as a catcher) with a lifetime average of .287.  He also got his World Series ring with the '95 Braves along with my another recent PC inductee Marquis Grissom. 



It's never been formally admitted, but based on an interview Javy gave in 2010 he probably used PED's in some form during his 2003 season.  :-(

I know, I know, but Lopez was not as prolific as some, so I'm giving him a pass.


As a batter, Javy hit .324 lifetime in 60 postseason games with an OPS of .817.  He also caught in three All-Star games.  When Javy came up for election in the Hall of Fame, he received only 0.2 % of the vote, putting him out of contention for a conventional ballot-based induction.


Javy caught some of the greatest pitchers of our time, three of them from a single team: Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and John Smoltz.  He put out base stealers with a 28% lifetime efficiency though it was much higher in his earlier years.


I don't know what it is about Javy that makes me drawn to his cards, but there you go.  I think he didn't get enough acclaim when he played, particularly during his spectacular run in Atlanta.  The guy did his job well, even before his suspicious 43-home run season.  I like that.


Javy doesn't seem like a "get a beer with" kind of guy.  I would prefer to go clubbing with him.  He strikes me as one hell of a wing man.

Welcome to the collection, Javy.

No comments:

Post a Comment