Monday, January 13, 2014

2013 Collecting Goals Revisited

2013, that is.

This is a recap of a list I made when I was a noob at being a card blogger.  Here's how I did:

1. Get Griffeys!

When I concocted this list last year I had "over 2000."  Now I have 6,893 not including a small but growing stack of inductees and about 40 more on the ship list at COMC.  That's an increase of roughly 350%.  I'm going to give myself an A on this.  No A+ because I always could have gotten more...

2. Get an autographed Griffey card.


Check.  She's not the most glamorous, but it's a major trophy from my collecting heyday.  Goal completed.

3. Watch more baseball and learn who all these guys are.

I did watch a lot more baseball, but not as much as I'd like.  I know who most of the big-name guys are and have a pretty solid grasp of who is with what team and who got traded since last year.  I foresee this goal being repeated again in my Goals for 2014 post. 

Ooh, and I came in second-to-last in the fantasy baseball league I joined.  I'm calling that a win.

4. Trade with other bloggers.

I had to laugh when I read that this was a goal of mine just 12 months ago.  I've since completed many trades with lots of great dudes.  I wish I kept better track of who I owe cards to, but I'm trying.  I would like to trade even more this year.  Anyone who is interested should shoot me an e-mail at tjv504 at gmail dot com.  I welcome the opportunity.

5. Get a system and organize.

I now have a system.  It is time-consuming, but it is logical and makes trading a relative breeze.  It could be more up-to-date when it comes to organization, but we are light-years away from where we were.

6. Don't go crazy with this.

OK, so the craziness still happens, but only in spurts.  It may not be evidenced by my recent lack of blogging activity of late, but I am still very much super into this hobby on an unhealthy level.  I'm not sure how to measure crazy, so we'll call this a draw.

7. Post at least 500 Griffeys to the blog with high-quality scans.

I got to 315, but the goal was unrealistic.  I can only blame myself.

8. Get an original Topps Ted Williams card from the 50's for my Dad.

I didn't do this.  They are expensive - like autographed Griffey expensive.  Fail, but this is my year.

9. Get a solid list together of who I collect.

This is hard.  I have my short list there on the right of this blog page, but I do collect way more guys than that.  I guess this part still needs work....

10. Make a reasonable list of the Griffeys I want in my collection.

I did this.  Here it is:

1. ALL THE GRIFFEYS

I'm not trying to be cute here.  Since I acquired the '93 Finest Refractor, it's all fair game.  And there's always the lottery.  More on this when I get around to making my 2014 goals list some time in late July.

11. Get rid of all these freakin' cards!

Yeah, this didn't happen.  I have even more now.  Fail.

12. Learn the ins and outs of Blogger.

I pretty much have this down.  I know not to trust Blogger to auto-publish a scheduled post, and I know that a post I publish may never show up on my feed let alone anyone else's.  Blogger has a lot of issues that test your mettle, so I guess what I really have to learn is patience.

Overall I 'm pretty happy with how the blog and the collection have come along this year, and I'm thankful for all the other bloggers out there who have helped me out and humored me along the way.  Here's to a great new year!

If you stuck around this long, you deserve a treat:


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for that! Congrats and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things:

    I like how 6 & 1 are contradictions of each other. "Don't go crazy with this" and "...an increase of roughly 350%". HA!!!

    And second, I would like to be the 8th dwarf.

    ReplyDelete