Sunday, August 31, 2014

Cavalcade of Keepers 1


Welcome to the first installment of a new feature where we take a look at a few cards from the Keeper Box.

While I don't plan on always having a theme, today we are looking at five players from the 1995 World Series Champion Atlanta Braves.  Enjoy!

1998 Stadium Club John Smoltz #149

A unique shot of John - or of any pitcher for that matter - in a leaping wall catch.  I have to assume this is staged because I cannot even imagine the turn of events that would lead to a situation like this during an actual play.  Pitchers at the wall shots have got to be far rarer than pitchers at the plate.  The shadow here is great, and you can't fault John's acting - look at that focus.  I'm sold.

1995 Fleer Pro-Visions Greg Maddux #4

When I quit collecting cards back in the very late 90's I kept a small album of cards I just really liked.  This was one of the very few to make that cut - an original keeper.  Check out the brightly-colored, larger-than-life illustration by Wayne Anthony Still along with a touch of gold foil.  Say what you want about '95 Fleer; this is a great insert.  I'll probably show way more of these in future posts.


This is a Where's Waldo?-type setup where you have to find something in the crowd, presumably Bazooka Joe.  I just enjoy checking out all the colorful characters in the background.  Now why is Chipper playing outfield?

1994 Donruss Elite Fred McGriff #58 #/10000

On the opposite end of the spectrum from that last card is this extremely fancy befoiled number from Donruss' super high-end.  All die-cut and shiny with a great textured field between the border and the photo (that a scan doesn't do justice), I highly recommend picking up one of your favorite player.  The folks at Leaf really put a lot of work into these.  Beautiful.

1996 Pinnacle Christie Brinkley Collection Ryan Klesko #2

One of the most bizarre inserts ever made in my opinion, the Christie Brinkley Collection featured a bunch of stars from the Indians and Braves.  I can't really make fun of this insert for two reasons.  First, pretty lady.


Mm-hmm.

Second, the photography is rock-solid.  Seriously - these cards are beautiful.  Every card has a fun/unique pose by some great 90's players.  At least two of them have babies on them.  This is not Klesko's only surfing card, but I think it's his best.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Both the Smoltz and Klesko are cards I've been wanting for a long, long time. That Maddux isn't half bad, either. So typical of '95 Fleer.

    ReplyDelete